9 Easy Southern Recipes: The Ultimate Guide to Southern Cooking and Southern Comfort Food
7 Southern Punch Bowl Cake Recipes
This traditional Southern dessert is the perfect combination of elegance and ease.
We are adding the recipe to your Recipes.
The recipe was added to your Recipes.
If you are interested in making homemade Southern desserts but don't want to spend all day in the kitchen, then Southern punch bowl cakes might be for you.
This collection of 7 Southern Punch Cake Recipes will show you the virtues of this classic Southern dessert. Layered punch bowl cakes are elegant and impressive, but assembling them couldn't be easier. Traditionally, to make Southern punch bowl cake, prepared or store-bought cake is cut up and layered with a pudding mixture, various types of fruit, and whipped cream.
There are variations between the different recipes, but these punch bowl cakes all have two things in common: they are delicious and impossibly easy to make.
7 Southern Punch Bowl Cake Recipes
Table of Contents
For more Southern desserts, be sure to download a free, printable copy of Heavenly Southern Desserts: 9 Easy Cake Recipes
Traditional Punch Bowl Cake Recipes
- Lovely Layered Punch Bowl CakeYou will be shocked at how easy it is to prepare this Southern recipe for Lovely Layered Punch Bowl Cake. Angel food cake is layered with vanilla pudding, pineapple, bananas, strawberries, and more to make this Southern punch bowl cake.
- Southern Strawberry Coconut Punch Bowl CakeTo make this easy Southern recipe, angel food cake is combined with strawberries, coconut, and a filling made from whipped topping, sour cream, evaporated milk, and sugar. Everyone will love this classic take on punch bowl cake.
- Strawberry Angel Punch Bowl CakeThe filling for this Southern dessert is made from a combination of cream cheese, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and frozen strawberries. The filling is then layered with cake, coconut, and nuts.
- Strawberry Punch Bowl CakeIt only takes five ingredients to make this sumptuous Strawberry Punch Bowl Cake. Prepared cake, vanilla pudding, whipped topping, and strawberries make up this elegant but simple Southern dessert.
Other Recipes for Punch Bowl Cake
- Southern Potluck Punch Bowl CakeMake a portable version of punch bowl cake with this recipe for Southern Potluck Punch Bowl Cake. Instead of using one large punch bowl, the cakes are layered in mason jars for the cutest dessert you could possibly imagine.
- Triple Chocolate Punch Bowl CakeUnlike most Southern punch bowl cake recipes, this recipe features everyone's favorite sweet treat: chocolate! Double-chocolate cake is layered with chocolate pudding and whipped cream before getting topped with fresh strawberries.
- Paula Deen-Inspired Punch Bowl CakeOur test kitchen version of Paula Deen's punch bowl cake is sure to please. Store-bought pound cake is layered with pudding and fruit to make this irresistible punch bowl cake.
What's the Difference Between a Punch Bowl Cake and a Trifle?
Merriam-Webster defines “trifle” as “a dessert made of layers of cake, jam or jelly, and custard and topped with whipped cream.” Since punch bowl cakes and trifles can both be described by this definition, the true distinction comes down to regional differences in vernacular.
In colonial America, the punch bowl was a status symbol and the size of the bowl corresponded with a family’s societal importance. However, as glass punch bowls became more affordable, they became more common household items. Punch bowls played a large part in Southern culture, in that there was usually a punch bowl present at every social gathering from weddings to family gatherings to baby showers. Since it became so common for a household to own a punch bowl, these vessels became a sort of multi-purpose dish for both punch and desserts.
In the dessert recipe itself, there is essentially no true difference between a punch bowl cake and trifle. Rather, the “punch bowl cake” is a regional term that acknowledges the history behind the Southern punch bowl as well as its cultural significance in the South.
Find even more homemade cake recipes in our collection of Southern Cake Recipes: 31 Traditional Southern Cakes
What does your family call this dessert - punch bowl cake or trifle? Let us know in the comments!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Kentucky Butter Cake
Sock It to Me Cake from Scratch
Grandma's Special Lemon Pound Cake
Amazing Cookie Butter Pound Cake
Pioneer Woman-Inspired Carrot Cake
Lemon Coconut Cake
Millionaire's Pound Cake
Old-Fashioned Louisiana Crunch Cake
Just Like Trisha Yearwood's Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
Old-Fashioned Coca-Cola Cake
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Capresso Iced Tea Maker
- Chili’s White Spinach Queso
- Red Velvet Scones
- Coconut Chicken
- Steak Cutlets Caprese
- 40 Easy Southern Recipes for Easter
- Southern Desserts for Easter: 14 Easy Easter Dessert Recipes
- The Best Southern Desserts: 10 Southern Caramel Cake Recipes
- Paula Deen Stoneware Rooster Egg Tray
- Cranberry Goat Cheese Steak Salad
- 11 Savory Southern Recipes For Dinner: The Best Southern Dinner Recipes
- 9 Easy Southern Recipes: The Ultimate Guide to Southern Cooking and Southern Comfort Food
- Best Brunch Recipes: 9 Southern Recipes for Brunch
- Fantastic Fruit Dessert Recipes: 8 Southern Recipes for Dessert
- Heavenly Southern Desserts: 9 Easy Cake Recipes