9 Easy Southern Recipes: The Ultimate Guide to Southern Cooking and Southern Comfort Food
The Cowboy's Cookbook Review
We are adding the recipe to your Recipes.
The recipe was added to your Recipes.
The Cowboy's Cookbook Review
Gifted By: Rowman & Littlefield
Reviewed by Arielle Matlin, Editor, FaveSouthernRecipes.com
If you are a fan of the Old West, than you will go crazy for The Cowboy's Cookbook by Sherry Monahan. This book is part history book, part cowboy lingo dictionary, and, of course, part cookbook. Not only are there amazing recipes, but the history is fascinating.
The introduction covers the origin story of the term cowboy which is much more than men riding around on horse. She then delves into different cooking tips and techniques with a focus on Dutch oven cooking. She goes on to explain how to set up a classic coal fire and cook like the cowboys did. I loved the next chapter on cowboy vernacular. There were so many terms I had never heard, and more that I never knew the meaning of.
The recipe chapters are broken down by locations and events instead of course. I found this really great for a historical cookbook like this. Each chapter begins with an excerpt from E.A. Brininstool's Trail Dust of a Maverick that sets the mood for the contents of the chapter. It is followed by a few pages of introduction on how and why certain foods were eaten. There are old pictures scattered throughout the chapters.
Most of the recipes are adapted from cookbooks that were written in the 1800s. The author adapts the recipes to include ingredients we use today. There are simple recipes like Grilled Steak (38), Baked Peaches (30), and Beef Gravy (87). There are also more unique recipes like Haw with Champagne Vinegar Sauce (91), Shrimp Salad (112), and Venison Steak with Lemon Jelly (143).
This cookbook is true to the tradition of the Old West. There are real recipes with historical importance, not to mention delicious flavors. This cookbook will have you cooking up a storm cowboy-style.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Love these recipes? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 11 Savory Southern Recipes For Dinner: The Best Southern Dinner Recipes
- 9 Easy Southern Recipes: The Ultimate Guide to Southern Cooking and Southern Comfort Food
- Best Brunch Recipes: 9 Southern Recipes for Brunch
- Fantastic Fruit Dessert Recipes: 8 Southern Recipes for Dessert
- Heavenly Southern Desserts: 9 Easy Cake Recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Hot Cocoa Muddy Buddies
- Baked Oreo Donuts
- 6 Southern Fried Fish Recipes: Fried Catfish Recipes, White Fish Recipes, and More
- Spicy Vegetable Soup with Old Bay
- Feel Good Flax Cornbread
- Spicy Mango Salsa
- Roasted Cinnamon and Nutmeg Almonds
- Coconut Cashew Bars
- Strawberries with Coconut Cashew Crumble
- Spicy Chicken and Apple Sweet Potato Stir Fry