How to Make Meatloaf
Meatloaf is a classic American dish that has been around for generations. Learning how to make meatloaf is extraordinarily simple, and this guide for How to Make Meatloaf will cover all of the basics of making this dish. The great thing about learning how to make meatloaf is that it can be made a variety of different ways, so there is little room for error. Best of all, you can make use of whatever spices and seasonings you have on hand when making meatloaf.
Check out 14 Easy Ground Beef Recipes for more delicious recipes.
How to Make Meatloaf
Table of Contents
- ground beef
- bread crumbs
- seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning)
See our recipe for Mom's Homestyle Meatloaf for exact measurements and further instructions.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, seasonings, egg, and ketchup.
- Use your hands to bring the ingredients together.
Stir until just combined.
- Transfer the meatloaf to a baking sheet and shape into a loaf.
- Spoon the remaining ketchup over the meatloaf.
- Bake the meatloaf for 60 to 70 minutes, or until the internal temperature registers 160 degrees F.
For the full recipe, be sure to check out Mom's Homestyle Meatloaf.
- Do not overmix the meatloaf in step 2! Overmixing could cause the meatloaf to be tough and less tender.
- For easy clean up, we like to prepare a baking sheet by lining it with tinfoil and then coating it with cooking spray.
- For a more uniform loaf, you can transfer the meatloaf mixture to a loaf pan in step 3.
- If you prefer your meatloaf to have a crispier crust, you can feel free to skip the ketchup glaze in step 4.
- Meatloaf is a great blank canvas. Once you learn the method of how to make meatloaf, you can mix it up by adding different seasonings and aromatics.
- Mix up the meat! We prefer using ground beef, but you can make meatloaf using a mixture of ground beef, ground pork, ground veal, or ground lamb.
- Make your meatloaf healthier by using ground turkey in place of the ground beef.
- All-American Meatloaf
- Breakfast Meatloaf
- Kicked Up Meatloaf
- Sunday Dinner Meatloaf
- Tangy Pineapple Meatloaf
- Zesty Slow Cooker Meatloaf
Subscribe to Our Free Newsletter
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.