How to Make Grits
Learn how to make the perfect Southern grits with our easy-to-follow guide!
By: Kaitlin Weiler, Editor, FaveSouthernRecipes.com
We are adding the recipe to your Recipes.
The recipe was added to your Recipes.
Grits are a standard Southern breakfast or side dish that can be made for practically any meal or occasion.
Learning how to make grits is an essential part of becoming a true Southern cook. This guide for How to Make Grits will teach you everything you need to know about making this Southern staple.
Once you have mastered the basics of how to make grits, you will be able to make a million different variations of this simple but delicious recipe.
There is nothing quite as comforting as a warm bowl of grits, and they pair perfectly with everything from fried eggs and bacon to shrimp and crawfish. After learning the best techniques for making authentic Southern grits, you'll be able to whip up a perfect batch anytime you want.
For exact measurements and further instructions, see our recipe for Simple Southern Grits
How to Make Grits
What You Need
- grits or coarse-ground cornmeal
- black pepper
Making the Grits
Begin by combining the water, milk, and salt in a large sauce pot. Bring the mixture to a boil.
After the mixture has come to a boil, slowly whisk in the grits.
Reduce to a simmer and cook until the grits are thick and creamy. Whisk the grits frequently, making sure to break up any lumps.
Once the grits are creamy, whisk in the butter and black pepper.
For the pictured recipe, including exact measurements and further instructions, check out Simple Southern Grits.
Other Tips and Tricks for How to Make Grits
Keep whisking! Frequent (or even constant) whisking is essential to smooth, creamy grits. Make sure to get the whisk into the corners of the pot where lumps might be hiding. Whisking the grits generously will also help to release starch, which means creamier grits.
Be generous with the salt. Salting the water and milk mixture will help season the grits.
For more flavorful grits, stir in one half cup of sharp Cheddar cheese with the butter and pepper.
Be adventurous! Once you know how to make grits, experiment with adding different types of cheese.
Try adding a splash of heavy cream to the finished grits for even more richness.
Dress up your grits! Top your grits with bacon, green onions, sausage, sauteed vegetables, or anything that your heart desires.
More Easy Grits Recipes
Now that you've learned the basics, you can experiment with new recipes. Find everything from shrimp and grits to a cheesy grits casserole below.
Comforting Baked Cheese Grits - Test Kitchen-Approved!
Grits are so versatile that they can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. If you're making grits as a dinner side dish, check out more main dish recipes in our free, downloadable eCookbook, 11 Savory Southern Recipes for Dinner: The Best Southern Dinner Recipes
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Love these recipes? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- The Best Oils for Cooking
- How to Make Cornbread
- How to Make Grits
- 10 Cake Mix Hacks: How to Make a Cake Mix Taste Homemade
- How to Cut a Pepper
- How to Make Pulled Pork, Plus 13 Easy Pulled Pork Recipes
- How to Store Your Baking Ingredients
- How to Make Apple Pie
- How to Make Fried Chicken
- How to Cook Collard Greens
- 11 Savory Southern Recipes For Dinner: The Best Southern Dinner Recipes
- 9 Easy Southern Recipes: The Ultimate Guide to Southern Cooking and Southern Comfort Food
- Best Brunch Recipes: 9 Southern Recipes for Brunch
- Fantastic Fruit Dessert Recipes: 8 Southern Recipes for Dessert
- Heavenly Southern Desserts: 9 Easy Cake Recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Homemade Vanilla Cake Mix Recipe
- Circulon Ultimum Square Grill Pan
- Southern Pecan Cobbler Dump Cake
- Southern Blueberry Cream Drop Biscuits
- Just Like Granny's Chicken Salad
- One-Pot Southern Burrito Bowl Recipe
- One-Pot Tex-Mex Spaghetti
- Just Like Olivia Walton's Applesauce Cake
- The Best Southern Desserts: 10 Southern Caramel Cake Recipes
- Cuisinart 10-Piece Carousel Grill Tool Set Giveaway