How to Make Grits
By: Kaitlin Weiler, Editor, FaveSouthernRecipes.com
We are adding the recipe to your Recipes.
The recipe was added to your Recipes.
Grits are a standard Southern breakfast or side dish that can be made for practically any meal or occasion. Learning how to make grits is an essential part of becoming a true Southern cook. This guide for How to Make Grits will teach you everything you need to know about making this Southern staple. Once you have mastered the basics of how to make grits, you will be able to make a million different variations of this simple but delicious recipe.
Check out 9 Recipes for Shrimp and Grits for more delicious recipes for grits.
How to Make Grits
Table of Contents
- grits or coarse-ground cornmeal
- black pepper
See our recipe for Simple Southern Grits for exact measurements and further instructions.
- Begin by combining the water, milk, and salt in a large sauce pot. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- After the mixture has come to a boil, slowly whisk in the grits.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook until the grits are thick and creamy. Whisk the grits frequently, making sure to break up any lumps.
- Once the grits are creamy, whisk in the butter and black pepper.
- Serve hot!
For the full recipe, be sure to check out Simple Southern Grits.
- Keep whisking! Frequent (or even constant) whisking is essential to smooth, creamy grits. Make sure to get the whisk into the corners of the pot where lumps might be hiding. Whisking the grits generously will also help to release starch, which means creamier grits.
- Be generous with the salt. Salting the water and milk mixture will help season the grits.
- For more flavorful grits, stir in one half cup of sharp Cheddar cheese with the butter and pepper.
- Be adventurous! Once you know how to make grits, experiment with adding different types of cheese.
- Try adding a splash of heavy cream to the finished grits for even more richness.
- Dress up your grits! Top your grits with bacon, green onions, sausage, sauteed vegetables, or anything that your heart desires.
Check out more main dish recipes in 11 Savory Southern Recipes for Dinner: The Best Southern Dinner Recipes.
- Best Baked Cheese Grits
- Cheese Grits Casserole
- Divine Shrimp and Grits (pictured above, left)
- Comforting Baked Cheese Grits - NEW! Test Kitchen-Approved!
- Creamy Slow Cooker Grits
- Garlic Parmesan Grits
- Grits and Green Chile
- Rita's Cheesy Grits
- Cheddar Garlic Grits with Fried Eggs (pictured above, center)
- Smothered Southern Grits
- The Best Creamy Grits
- Crawfish and Grits (pictured above, right)
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Love these recipes? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- How to Cook Collard Greens
- Katie Test Lists with Descriptions
- How to Make Grits
- How to Cut a Pepper
- How To Make a Substitute for Buttermilk
- 10 Cake Mix Hacks: How to Make a Cake Mix Taste Homemade
- How to Make Meatloaf
- How to Make Pulled Pork, Plus 13 Easy Pulled Pork Recipes
- How to Make the Perfect Cookies
- The Frugal Foodie: How to Save Money on Groceries
- 11 Savory Southern Recipes For Dinner: The Best Southern Dinner Recipes
- 9 Easy Southern Recipes: The Ultimate Guide to Southern Cooking and Southern Comfort Food
- Best Brunch Recipes: 9 Southern Recipes for Brunch
- Fantastic Fruit Dessert Recipes: 8 Southern Recipes for Dessert
- Heavenly Southern Desserts: 9 Easy Cake Recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Spinach and Feta Tortellini
- 2 Ingredient Raspberry Dumplings
- Coca-Cola Drumsticks
- Southern Style Squash Casserole
- Honey Garlic Shrimp
- Moist and Sweet Cornbread
- 17 Easy Southern Game Day Recipes
- Dexas 2-in-1 Baster and Brush Review
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Crescent Rolls
- Sausage and Veggie Tortellini Soup